Monday, April 21, 2008

3 things we learned about touring Philadelphia

Michael and I went to work at a conference in New Jersey this weekend. We went a day early to visit Philadelphia. Since PA is having a HUGE vote on Tuesday, we were lucky enough to see a gazillion Clinton and Obama commercials along with the beginnings of the Obama rally downtown on Friday night with people offering "Obama shirts" on all the main street corners.



After visiting Philadelphia a number of times with Kids Are Music and touring patriotic sites back East, this time I learned a number of things:

1) Go deeper than the big 3! When time allows to go deeper than the big three tourist sites of each destination- you can see great things! Who knew that there was so much more to Philadelphia than the Liberty Bell, The constitution center, and Indpendence Hall. I was lucky enough to marry a history buff (cough... nerd:) such as myself that we can both enjoy a good 10 hours of historical museums and sites. Even the smaller museums that aren't as popular as the big 3.

2) Weather is huge! No wonder Kids Are Music didn't want to do more than the big 3- in July it is stinkin' HOT! Michael and I had beautiful weather this weekend. Visit the East coast historical sites in April for enjoyable weather!

3) DO NOT EAT 3 hour old Chick-Fil-A! Poor Michael! He was so cute and supportive to come and work with me on his birthday on Saturday. He was very grateful to all who called and left such sweet messages on his machine. Sorry he did not answer. He was busy being a slave for work. Then we spent the next 20 hours in our hotel room with food poisoning... YUCK!!! Then we had to get on a plane to come home. Both of us felt rotten. We are still recovering to full capacity this morning.

It was a wonderful trip (well, despite the horrible salmonella type food poisoning).

5 comments:

Laura said...

Looks like a fun trip! I so agree with you about seeing the East in the spring or fall...its all so much more enjoyable (and less crowded) then. Sorry about the food poisoning...yuck!
Laura
P.S. Michael, sorry about missing your birthday! Happy belated Birthday to you!

Pam said...

Did you get an Obama shirt. I would have paid good money for you to get me one to give to my husband for his birthday coming up. He bought me a Hillary one. We would make a great couple walking the streets of Provo!
Aunt Pam

Chuck Gates said...

(Must... fight... temptation... to comment... on Obama posts...)

I totally agree on your points!

Point 1: I am so grateful for the KAM trips that exposed me to great things while I was younger. However, I am glad that I have been able to go back to those places to get a more in depth visit than just the 3 biggest tourist attractions in the town. You can see some great things (like the National Archives Building in DC) when you visit the second tier sights.

Point 2: Weather is crucial! I have been trying forever to convince some of our family that while DC on July 4th is very patriotic, the East Coast is so much more enjoyable in the Spring and Fall. Low humidity, mild temps, and much more beautiful sights. The blossoms on all the trees (more than just the Cherry Blossom Festival) in DC/Virginia in early April are GORGEOUS. The leaves in fall (I recommend Skyline Drive or Blue Ridge Parkway along the mountaintops) are amazing. Other than the patriotic 4th experience, July is not a sensible time to visit.

Finally, did you take your NP Passport and get stamps?

Julia Davis said...

Your trip looks awesome! (except for the salmonella... no good.) I really want to go there some day.... I was never fortunate enough to join the krm group. Hope all is well!

Steph H said...

I love Philly! I'm a huge Rocky fan so I'm glad Michael took the picture on the steps (you kinda have to, right?). Happy Birthday!