You might be thinking... "wait, didn't Lani and Michael get back last week from like the best vacation ever? Where are the pictures?" Well friends, we did return last Monday from a dream vacation to the Caribbean with the Conleys, McBrides, and my parents. It was absolutely perfect, minus one detail... we lost our camera. You would think I learned my lesson after loosing my wedding ring 2 years ago, but I guess not. The lesson we have learned in our marriage, is don't put me in charge of things worth more than $100. The camera is somewhere in Jamaica. Thus, we will be posting pictures taken from others' cameras.
We were supposed to be heading to the Eastern Caribbean but there was a tropical storm that came in and they switched us to the Western. Some of us had done some of the stops but it was fun to see the new guys get to do the classics. One of the highlights was hiking Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica (yes the scene of the missing camera accident). Mom is still in a walking cast and I am pretty plump so we opted to walk along side and take pictures while the others tackled the falls. They all seemed to have a lot of fun.
On cruises they have all sorts of opportunities to take our money, including professional photos at every turn. We tried to take a group picture on formal night and for some reason the photographer did not think we looked "right" with our spouses behind us... so he put us the way he thought looked best. It was the best picture of us all from the whole week and kind of a funny memory. I just wish I would have taken it seriously because when he did it and went to take the picture I thought, "oh goodness, there is no way we are buying this why even smile!" But it ended up being the one we bought!
We were so glad that Mitzi and Mike came to surprise us (thanks Amy for making it possible- we just wish you could have been there with us!) Of course being the truly pregnant woman I am, when we turned the corner to see them for the first time, we were totally surprised- and yes, I got a little teary eyed. It was just so perfect because my cute husband had just said 30 minutes earlier while we were settling in "This is going to be so great... but honestly, I understand now what you guys were saying... I wish the rest of us were here because it feels like we are missing half the party".
For the couple months before we left, I just kept saying that I wish that everyone could go- but getting married last of the family comes with the consequences of the other 5 having families and responsibilities by the time my husband and I are ready to party, that they cannot leave and I completely understand. It means so much to me that my husband has fallen in love with my family as much as he has me, and truly craves the craziness of the Gates family. When Mitz and Mike showed up, we were one step closer to the full sh-bang. We missed the Gates, Johnsons and Dittbrenners and can't wait for when we will all get to play together again.
Thank you Conleys, McBrides, and Mom and Dad for making Michael's and my dream vacation a reality. We love you and can't wait for the next one!
6 comments:
I was just thinking this morning how I haven't seen any prego pictures of you yet. So sad about your camera.
I love that Mitzi is even holding your hubbie's hand in that picture. We would have loved to be there.
I too was thinking the same thing Lani was...that there was no way that we were going to buy this photo so ham it up!
What a great vacation! Now I have to go finish my post on it.
That picture is hilarious!! I love the posts Lani... keep em coming!
It is SOOO GREAT to see you prego!
"The lesson we have learned in our marriage, is don't put me in charge of things worth more than $100."
Funny... I thought the lesson had to be --> GET RENTER'S INSURANCE!!!
Before you say it, watch the first 40 seconds of this clip to view the scene from Friends Episode 7, Season 3 - The One With The Racecar Bed, which I am sure you are thinking of. Okay, after watching the video, you can all stop laughing now.
I even heard that Mike's reaction when he heard the camera was lost was to say, "It's too bad Chuck is not here to lecture us on renter's insurance right now." So let me take this opportunity.
If you own anything of value, you are a fool for not getting renter's/homeowner's insurance. If you have renter's/homeowner's insurance and don't make claims, you are equally a fool. This is the one of the few things you can actually recoup your money from insurance companies on (unless you are Char and can single-handedly use more health insurance than then entire state of Rhode Island).
Seriously, get renter's insurance. It is only a few dollars a month. Even if you don't own much, it will cover your jewelry, computers, and cameras. Also, ask if they have an add on "electronics insurance" that will make your deductible lower for computers and digital cameras.
When I dropped our digital camera, we got full price with NO DEDUCTIBLE on a plan that costs us less than $20 every 6 months. 'Nuff said.
Oh... sorry... I forgot to say that I am really sorry you lost your camera. Wish we could have been there!
Ditto - get renter's insurance - it saved my bum when my wallet was stolen a few years ago. But... there was a $500 deductible. So unless your camera was worth well over $500, the insurance wouldnt help.
How funny - check out my blog - we just posted pics from OUR CRUISE too! We went on Carnival down the Mexican Riviera. I would love to do the Caribbean, but the flight to Florida is a little too long to do with a baby :) Enjoy this vacation time while you can! Vacationing with baby is fun...but somewhat limiting :)
Wow, it looks like so much fun! And I feel sick that you lost your camera. I think I would die.
The formal picture of everyone with the wrong spouses made me laugh out loud. What a lug-head of a photographer. Mixing everyone up like that. How funny.
Glad you got to go on such a fun cruise!
Post a Comment