Sunday, May 30, 2010

East Coast Trip: Washington DC Day 2

Day 2 was a blast! We did not want to miss any of our to do list!

We started with our favorite Smithsonians. We hit Air and Space, Natural History, and American History. Houston thought the point of going to these places was to mingle with the many strangers. He was a bit offended when people were more interested in reading a plaque than playing with him. He got into pushing the stroller by himself and at the American History museum he slipped in between 2 different women and their strollers to help them push. I just pictured him saying, "I got this ma'am" in a deep John Wayne voice as he tried to take off with their child unknowingly. We had a McDonald's picnic on the mall between our museums.
We then switched our focus to monuments and memorials. We started at the Washington Monument (and got our passport stamps for all the monuments), then the White House, then walked along the Potomac and saw Jefferson on our way to visit FDR (and WWII from a distance), then headed to Lincoln, Korea, and Vietnam.
This was my first time doing these on foot (not on a KAM bus) and I've ALWAYS wanted to walk along the Potomac to see these. And since I have a DC nerd as a husband and the most wonderful son in the world who was an ABSOLUTE CHAMP-- it made it wonderful for us to hit all these in one day on foot (sidenote: If I would have KNOWN- I would NOT have bought us the DAY metro passes!).
We ended our fine day with some yummy ribs at Red, Hot, and Blue with Joe too. It was the PERFECT one full day of DC! Tomorrow... DC to Richmond!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I love the Hock family matching tshirts!