Going to bed on July 3rd I went through our schedule for the 4th with Michael and said, "It's like our first proper 4th of July together! Full of hot, sweaty, fun family activities... its going to be perfect!" Michael smiled and laughed as if to say "you know, you sound pretty twisted to most people- but it always amazes me how your mom and dad convinced you that these things were fun and awesome! And amazes me more that now I do too!"
We started the morning with the YW being in charge of the Ward Pancake Breakfast. It was a fun-filled morning of food, face painting, Kids Are Music performing, family water games, and a bike parade. I was so grateful to have such an amazing board to help organize such a fun event.
Michael went to play basketball while I stayed with the kids to rest. Then at about 4 we headed to the biggest Fireworks show in the area. The kids did a few roaming performances then we cracked out our potluck dinner and snacks for the evening. They had the Cary Town band and NC symphony as opening acts which were absolutely perfect. They both played my favorite Sousa's Stars and Stripes forever. We were all sweaty and kids were hot but happy to all be together on a blanket with their parents' full attention I think.
The fireworks show was honestly one of the best I've seen. There were a couple of moments in that late dark night sitting next to Michael, each holding one of our sweet children and thinking of the beautiful meaning behind the 4th of July that I thought, "This really is perfect!"
Sure there was traffic when we left and kids were tired- but those moments of perfection made it all worth it. I'm so grateful for a wonderful supportive husband who has drunk the Gates water and now enjoys the things that others might think are silly. I'm grateful to live by family so that we could have a 4th with the Johnsons and McBrides. I'm grateful for the many men and women who serve our country. And I am so grateful to be an American and live with the many freedoms that we have.
Friday, July 6, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment