Sunday, June 8, 2008

Party at Pitic




Last weekend we went to this big street festival that they have to celebrate the anniversary of the state being established. It is pretty crazy to think that this city is older than our country. The festival is held on the street of THE CATHEDRAL (where else :) and they close fof about 10 blocks.

Anyway, the people from the indigenous groups from around the state come and sell their different specialties (food, crafts, etc.). Also, the different performing groups from around the state come and share their talents. We went with our new friends Lisa and Pepe. Lisa was the first teacher to come work for the school when it opened last year. While here last year, she started dating Pepe from the ward. She went back to finish the school at the U and then came back at the beginning of the year. They leave on Wednesday to go to Utah for 2 months. We will miss them a lot.

We tried the local homemade root beer (not as much carbonation- but yummy) and churros (Like the usual but they fill the middle with yummy stuff- chocolate or caramel like stuff... YUMMY!). We also enjoyed the different dance groups. It was funny to see a group doing a typical 50's poodle skirt medley... at a Mexican anniversary celebration.

It was fun time. It is still weird to go out at night (10 pm) and it still be 85+ degrees.



2 comments:

Wendy said...

Lani,
So good to hear from you. I love Google Reader too. I know it's a pain when people go private and now I'm one of them. I'll need your email address to invite you.

Karyn said...

I love reading about your adventures! I'm so jealous; it makes me miss living in another country. I can't believe you have a Costco.. no fair! Hope you guys are loving it!