Friday, September 18, 2009

Blushing like a school girl

Last week I had a little breakdown. Things at work are getting missed and in my opinion not getting done as well as they should. For years I have focused so much on putting EVERYthing into work, and now I can't. Being hundreds of miles away... phone on mute on conference calls... and things not getting done up to the standard I would hope and I can do my best but it just isn't enough sometimes. One day last week the transition of phases hit me- harder than I would have thought.

When I went crying to my husband, he was cute to comfort me and say the perfect things. He pointed out that I have done some great things there and have accomplished everything I needed to at that company. He gently and sincerely reminded me of some of the great things I had done and learned while working full time in the business world. Then he said something that clicked, he told me I can check being the head haunch o of major company off my list and move on to the next thing in life.

That is when it happened. That little realization, that I could say been there done that in the business world, allowed my heart to fully move on. Of course I have loved Houston from the beginning, more and more each day in fact. But for some reason it then came like an avalanche! It is like I let my heart open 1 mm more when coming to that realization and a yard came flooding in. I found myself recently in bed thinking about what I needed to do the next day as I always do, but in the past it has been work items. This time, my heart fluttered like a school girl with a crush when I realized "I get to hang out with Houston tomorrow". When he gives me that huge smile that lights up the room with just 2 little white teeth, my heart swoons so much I think it might explode from my chest, I literally grab my heart because it catches my breath. When he laughs that belly laugh just because I kissed his cheek, I realize "How can life get any better than this?"
I am still working and loving it. I am so grateful to work from home for a company that I love. I feel very blessed for our situation with a contract that is absolutely perfect for us.

Yes, straightening my desk has been turned in for picking up toys. My private office has been turned in for a guy in the next cubicle that drools and plays his music too loud.
Power suits have been turned in for what I thought was a clean shirt but now notice has a little throw up there, a little boogie there, and a little green beans and oatmeal there from when I was sneezed upon mid-spoonful earlier that morning. My days that once seemed so long, have somehow become even longer... and all I can think every minute of everyday is- THANK YOU! Thank you to my Heavenly Father for giving me such a sweetheart and letting me enjoy every moment I can with him. I would not have it any other way.

2 comments:

Mitzi said...

I am so confused! Were you slacking in your job or others that you couldn't control b/c you were so far away? And so have you quit? Or are you just going to enjoy Houston more and worry less about work?

Steph H said...

This was so great to read as I'm winding down on the full-time work life and getting ready to enter into full-time motherhood. Thanks for enjoying it so much and making it sound so wonderful.