Wednesday, October 6, 2010

All things prego

Now that the big news is out I can share some funny stories that have happened since becoming pregnant. I think with the last pregnancy I was so busy being terribly sick that I didn't have or didn't notice many of the "pregnancy" characteristics. (Sidenote: with Houston I threw up many times a day and with this one I have thrown up a dozen total! Bargain! I'm nauseous all the time but have great medicine and insurance so have controlled it nicely).

I feel like with this pregnancy I am experiencing every stereotype of a pregnant woman. Some that I find most annoying or entertaining include:
  1. Tired. I get a fine and dandy 8 sometimes 9 hours of sleep a night but still welcome a nap a couple times a week if I hope to still be a nice mommy in the evening for Houston.
  2. Constant bathroom stops. Last round I knew where the closest bathroom was at all time for vomiting sake, this time it is because I have the bladder of a 2 year old being potty trained.
  3. Cravings. I really don't remember this one with Houston. Everything always looked repelling because I knew it would be back to visit 20 minutes later. With this one, I do'nt have weird cravings- just specific cravings. Whether it is an Outback Steak, Carl's Jr Chicken Club, or Cinnamon Toast Crunch... nothing will fulfill the void until I finally get it.
  4. Back Pain. My baby is the size of an avocado, yet after standing for a half hour then sitting, my back feels like I just worked it out for hours as it stiffens up.
  5. Flakiness/Forgetful. This next one is embarrassing but I suppose if you are still reading to this point, and since there haven't been any pictures, you must really love me... so here it goes. The day we went to go get those pictures taken, we stopped by Kohls afterward. Now we had just been through the hectic process of family pictures with a not so happy 18 month old- so a little of my frazzled-ness was from that. However we were at Customer Service making a return. Houston was a wild man in his stroller and kept kicking and demanding "fishies, fishies!". I tried to appear like my attention was still at the Customer Service desk while I started searching my bag for the goldfish. The kind Customer Service lady asked to see my credit card. I responded "of course" then knelt down to respond to Houst "mommy's getting the fishies sweetie". Success! I had found both items I needed and felt like the world was right again without chaos. I stuck out one hand to the cashier then turned with the other towards Houston. I stood there for a second, finally taking a breath and taking pride that I had managed to succeed under the bit of stressful environment. I stood there waiting for both to accept what I had managed to find in the chaos but with no response. Until finally the cashier smiled and said, "I'm sorry ma'am, we don't accept goldfish". We both started laughing (although, my face was a little more red than hers) as she said, "wow! I've never witnessed such a "mom" moment".
A minute later I was telling the story to Michael and laughed so hard I teared up. So I guess we will add emotional to the stereotype list as well. :)

I gotta say, being sick this time is so much more enjoyable. When I throw up, Houston is the sweetest to come and pat my back or pet my hair... then the more I keep going... then he starts crying because he is sure I am under attack in some way (he cries when people tickle me too hard!). Michael asked me something the other day and it meant the world to me to hear how much he values the hard work of a stay at home mom. He asked after I had finished worshiping the porcelain throne which was harder, being pregnant at work (with Houston) or as a stay at home mom. I thought it was so sweet. Of course it is easier at home because I have the option to stay in my pjs all day and eat bon bons (I don't really do that but it is nice to know as a stereotypical pregnant woman I have the option!).

Happy to be carrying such a sweet spirit, and to be blessed with two understanding men at home that take such good care of me.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

That's so funny! I totally have to say it's all so completely true! I've noticed all of those things too with this one. I can't believe I'm already 23 weeks! No throwing up in 2 weeks... Hopefully I'm done with that! I think it's so cute when they come hold your hair and pay your back! Emma does the same thing!

Jake and Trisha Goodman said...

Congrats on another baby!!!! I hate the puking stage, but hopefully it passes soon for you! I was so sick the whole time we were in Italy, it was horrible! The story about goldfish is hilarious!

Ashley said...

Leland used to pat my back while throwing up too. It's so sweet when you see your kids showing compassion.

Alex said...

In the first trimester Cindy was pregnant, one night (around 11:30 p.m.) as we were laying in bed talking about being pregnant and the little funny things we had noticed up to that point about being pregnant. She said, "I've actually really been wanting a taco tonight." I was so excited to be a daddy, that I jumped out of bed and drove to taco bell!

Mitzi said...

Lol!!! Ashley and I had a good laugh watching Backup Plan last night. Some very funny pregnancy stereotypes.