Michael finished finals on Monday November 8. Our moving cubes arrived the morning of the 9th. 6 wonderful guys from the ward magically showed up an hour after they arrived and started liquidating our apartment of furniture and boxes.Chris James, one of Michael's soul bros (although we might might not see him again in this life, will always hold a special spot in Michael and my hearts) was a tetris master filling up our moving cubes. When the cubes arrived and I saw how small they were, I didn't think there was anyway we would fit in them, but Chris made it happen! Our friend Brock, who we had met only a few times at Stake sports activities was SO gracious to call the morning of the move and ask when he could help? When he found out we were already in the process of taking boxes down, he said, "great, I'll be right there." 30 minutes later he was at our door, leaving work behind to come and help. Chris Roberts who we had met once, texted the night before and said, "sad you are moving and that we didn't get to hang out more. How can I help?". There he was in our moment of not so fun packing. And of course, trusty Blake was there before working up a sweat before he had to run to night class. The elders also came to help.
Tuesday night my sister Amy flew in to help us with the final little things of packing. First thing Wed morning she flew Houston to CA who was picked up by my wonderful cousin Nikki who said yes to watching my son for 8 hours like I was asking her if she wanted freshly baked cookies she was SO automatic and willing in her response. Houston then spent the night and next day with Grandma Hock who was so wonderful to step up to the new role of babysitting grandma and took Houston on a shopping spree of walmart to find anything cars or balls :) I was worried about Houston being out with people he didn't know that well, but he is a social butterfly and possibly did not even notice we were gone. Both Amy and Nikki sent me texts with pictures of Houston with a big grin on the airplane or on the trampoline. I think he had a blast!
We on the other hand were not loving life as much. After dropping Amy and Houst off at the airport, we started finishing and cleaning the place up. The Magelsens were there early to help get the little things out. The Voorhees texted to see how they could help and soon brought lunch and oven cleaner which they proceeded to attack the oven with great vigor. I guess our dinner at Olive Garden wasn't meant to be the last party- the 6 of us (plus their kids) scrubbed our apartment from 8-2. What a blessing! We would NOT have made our apartment check out without them!
Maybe it was the stress of the prior week, the lack of sleep, the nervousness of starting another phase of unknowns, or possibly my EXTREME love I have for the time, memories, and people in Spokane... but after finishing the checkout with the apartment manager... she shut the door and asked for my keys. I realized it was my last time ever in that apartment... the apartment where my baby learned to crawl, where my baby learned to walk, where I learned to be a stay-at-home mom, where our little family learned to be a family without other family, where we grew to be who we are. I looked down the stairwell at 2 of the best friends I will ever have in this life, still holding rags from hours of cleaning my apartment. And I LOST it! I was SO embarrassed! My apartment manager is a cute old lady and said, "that is ok, we are glad you enjoyed your time here" and my husband put his arm around me as we walked down the stairs for the last time.
We headed to Rachel's house for one last opportunity to mooch her food :) while I made some calls I had to make before heading out. After which we gave one final round of hugs to the Mags and Voorhees, we walked out the door and again the tears came (seriously... maybe pregnancy?). I had no idea when we moved to a new state, a new ward, a new school, a new life just 15 months ago that it was going to have such an impact on my life. I am so grateful for the time we had there, the things we learned, and the people we met. We will not ever forget it! Mags and Voorhees- here is to our Alaska cruise in 10 years!
Michael and I made a few errands to close up our lives completely in Spokane and were on the road at 4. We started our 17 hour drive as the sun set over Spokane. 7 hours later we arrived at my cousin Julia's house in Oregon. Yet another angel in our 48 hour moving spree.
THANK YOU to all those who helped us by making dinner for us the week of our move, packing, cleaning, babysitting, whatever. We are so grateful! It was truly a lesson of serving with love. I can't say it enough... Thank you Thank you THANK YOU!
1 comment:
I can't tell you how much we have missed you! Spokane is just not the same without you guys. You and the Magelsen's made Spokane a great place to live and I am so glad that we grew so close. Love you guys!
Post a Comment