Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Battle's End is nigh

Warning: long post that many of you will find boring and pointless. It if for me to share my thoughts for myself in the future and to publish to the world my weight loss goal:)

You know how there are some women who no matter how many pregnancies they have and how big they get during pregnancy- you know they will shrink back down within months of giving birth. ie...
Well, I'm grateful to say I'm not one of them. That is right, I am grateful. I write this tirade not because I want to necessarily "look" great but because I want to "feel" great... in the way you can only when you are living Word of Wisdom in its completeness (Eating healthy, exercising, sleeping right, etc.). I love that Heavenly Father allows me to understand how great it feels to be living healthy because I have been to the not so healthy stage. I choose to bring Heavenly Father's children into this world knowing very well it WILL take a toll on my body and knowing that it will not be easy to ever see that body of days of yore again. But I am a fighter, or as Billy Blanks calls me, a "Conquerer". I love a good challenge, and weight loss is one of the ULTIMATE fights. So here I write about my battle thus far, and my destination ahead. It has come time to separate the boys from the men, the women from the weenies, the die hards from the heartless... I have decided it is time!

When Michael and I moved to Mexico, we were both feeling good and going to the gym. We felt like we were at our healthy weight. A month later we received wonderful news that I was pregnant.
As all of you know, pregnancy was not my friend. I was pretty miserable. Throughout the pregnancy it made me mad because they would say, "oh well you are fine because you are still gaining weight". (I cried at many a nurse that used that phrase with me... I mean why don't you just say, "we can't help you... it looks like you will be throwing up like you have food poisoning for the next 5 months... oh and BONUS... you're getting fatter too).

Michael was very cute and supportive throughout the pregnancy... Extremely Supportive! Exhibit A:
Just kidding my love- I just couldn't pass up this picture from when we lived in Mexico! Michael actually tried really hard to eat well and exercise while I was pregnant, but his love and sympathy for me I am SURE were proof of the debated Couvade syndrome.

After pregnancy we were too busy loving our new found joy that it took us a while to get back into the fight. (Well, also I had no feeling in my leg for 3 months and was unable to exercise).
Well, the week after last Thanksgiving (2009) my work schedule was cut and I realized I had more time to devote to shedding the weight. I started the Body for Life Program. I really enjoy the program for many reasons.
1) It gets you INTO shape. As much as I have loved programs like weight watchers in the past, and believe whole-heartedly that it can help you lose weight, I wanted more of a fitness program that would help me tone muscle and reward my passion for working out.
2) It does not take much time. Some fitness programs encourage you to workout for 1.5+ hours. Michael and I talked about getting P90X but I knew I could not commit the 1.5 hrs/day to work out.
3) I am hardly to NEVER hungry. When I follow the program, there are times that it makes you eat and I'm honestly not hungry, but I stick with it.
4) I have lost 80%-99% of my cravings. The other night for my birthday at Red Robin, Michael said, "should we get a shake" and my face actually made the "ewww" face! YES! ME!!! Turn DOWN a milk shake! I have fallen in love with our diet milk shakes and my tummy can't handle those heavy things any more. Don't get me wrong, the cookie dough in our fridge is still a temptation but hello... so I don't make cookies as often.
5) It is a cheap program. No monthly or weekly fees. No big payout to buy DVDs. It costs the price of one book. (We use our pull up bar and pushups and at home work out exercises but a gym would be nice).

The program is supposed to be 12 weeks. In the first 5 weeks (between Thanksgiving and New Years) I lost 13 lbs. When I got back from vacation it kind of fell by the way side (I know funny, huh, getting HOME was harder for me to get back into it). I've fluctuated 5 lbs either way since.

Well, Michael and I have amped back up again. We officially re-set our goals last weekend and have started working on them already. I want to note that we have already done really well this past year. Since having Houston, Michael has lost almost 30 lbs and I have lost 40. We have just slipped back into a plateau. So, by April 26, we want to be at our goal weights (Michael has more 8 lbs and I have 11).

Just as any war is made up of a series of battles, I'm sure this is just one of many times I will fight this battle throughout my life. I am up to the task and grateful for the challenge to learn how to take care of this gift of a body!

So my friends... Be prepared to see less of us soon! .... you know what I mean!

5 comments:

Mitzi said...

So I was thinking of starting back up the Chub club...but this is intimidating. Just teasing. It is very inspiring. I have been to the gym 3 times a week for 6 weeks now. It may not sound like much, but hey! After 4 years of not working out...it is huge for me!

Cristi said...

Tu puedes Prima!!! After having Jasmine i gained 10 pounds, it was so so so hard for me to lose them, but i have been working so hard, running, eating healthy, NO COCA COLA anymore and i am very happy i am on my 105 pounds again. I know you can do it. It's hard, and i know babies are the best in the world, but also it's important to be happy with ourselves. It's good to know your husband helps you and work out with you, my dave needs some motivation haha, love ya prima and i know you can do it.

Tiffany said...

This post and these pictures are SO FUNNY! Ryan and I were dying laughing. WAy to go though lani! I'm so proud of you. And Michael too! Tell him that we think he's looking good.

Tiffany said...

And you are looking good too!

Michael Hock said...

I can't get over how fat I look in that picture at Houston's blessing. That is one of those where you see it and say "was I really that fat" I look like I'm suffering from an allergic reaction to a bee sting.