Monday, August 16, 2010

Go Indians!

Although we have missed our SL Bees this summer, we are grateful that Spokane has a farm team too. It is a little smaller and lower level, but still is able to fill the void of needing a good night out at a baseball game. We have been to two Indians games this year.

The first we went with our friends the Magelsens and the Voorhees. Our three families had great plans for having a summer full of partying it up- but babies keep being born, tests keep coming up, and people keep LEAVING! So this is one of the only things we have done but it was fun and I'm glad we did it!
There was a funny story that night. I maybe shouldn't share this story but someday it is going to make for a great story in a talk on "things don't always go according to plan". We arrived at the game and Michael and I were a bit giddy. We both love a good night at the ball park and we were just getting settled. Michael leaned over, as he does at every baseball game we attend, and reminded me to be on alert for foul balls. I always enjoy that part of the game because it is the beginning of my husband becoming a 10 year old boy at a ball game. You can see in his eyes the dream of one day catching a foul ball at a game. There is just something youthful and blissful about him at a ball game.

This time he even took it one step further and came up with a plan. He said, "ok, if a foul ball comes, I'll hand the boy to you and I'll catch the ball, ok?" I smiled and nodded while still looking for something to calm down the 18 month old son who was more giddy and wiggly than his two parents combined. It sounded like a great plan. Someday when the baseball gods decided to pick us to have a foul ball come to I would be ready. I had heard EVERY word of the plan. I was totally on board. I just needed to find Houston some food so I could start enjoying the game. I started contemplating while searching what are the odds of actually catching a foul ball.

Well, the game had actually already started. We were on the 2nd maybe 3rd batter. I was still trying to get settled and searching for something to keep the boy occupied and, of course, processing the magnificent plan that had been presented... when it happened. The usual sound of bat hitting ball followed by moans or cheers did not happened. It was just bat hitting ball and then silence, so I quickly looked up to find life moving in slow motion. The baseball gods had selected me! It was coming STRAIGHT at my left side where nobody was sitting. As I reach up to try to catch it, something comes and jumps across my body and bumps me really good from the right side... then it hits me... it is the man child I am married to who is trying to fulfill his dream of catching a foul ball. The next thing that rushes to my mind... "Oh no... I didn't stick to the PLAN!" quickly followed by, "Where is my son?".

That is about when Michael and I both realized Houston starting to cry. Amidst the chaos, Houston got a little frightened and his mother had totally forgotten "the plan" she had been instructed on just 30 seconds earlier. Michael swears he put Houston on my lap but I have ZERO recollection of that AND Houston was on his right side so HOW could that have happened? So we are unsure on the exact happenings but Houston was fine just a little shaken up. Let's just say when we get to Heaven, this will definitely be one of the videos we watch to clear up the mystery of what we actually did.

Houston was fine but Michael had both a crushed dream and a VERY bruised finger, and NO foul ball to show for it. I felt terrible.
Next game Michael brought his glove just in case. :)

A girl from Michael's work offered her season tickets to us so we enjoyed actual seats right behind the dugout instead of benches. Houston gets really into the game but his favorite part is dancing to the music. It is pretty entertaining.
I love going to games with my boys. BABE- Someday we will get you a foul ball... I PROMISE! :)

3 comments:

Ashley said...

hilarious story! so sorry the foul ball dreams were crushed.

Mitzi said...

So you didn't even get the ball?

Steph H said...

I just love how you wrote this. "I heard EVERY word of the plan." You're such a good sport.

Also, I think Mr. Vorhees (your friend) is from Murray (my hometown). I don't know him but he looks just like his older brother who I did know. He might know my brothers, Peter or Ryan Brown. Fun!