Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Potty pre-Party Day

I had read a few potty training books and had heard raves about "Potty training in a Day". Although Houst had kind of made the transition to using the potty practically by himself, I wanted to see what programs would help. I'm not necessarily set on getting him completely out of diapers, but I did want to decrease the number of diapers. So even though we still have quite a few accidents two weeks later. It did work.

As it suggests in "potty training in a day" I decided to make it a day. I happened to know that we were going to ChuckECheese on Friday the 4th to celebrate Houston's birthday with the family, so I decided to merge the two. He opened his new big boy pants first thing in the morning. We loaded him up with salty food and gave him cool straws to encourage him to drink a lot! I didn't do the doll thing, but a week later I saw him potty training Bert so maybe it would have helped even more. (top right- showing off the new duds. Top left- learning the process while learning his new bday toys. Bottom two- listening and magically making the popcorn pop).
There are good days and bads. I feel like in the last few days (2 1/2 weeks after the potty party) he has been crying a lot more when it is time to go potty instead of being so great like he was for a month of always telling me with at least 1 minute notice. I'm glad I read other books that said potty training can take 3-12 months. It helps me think, you know, I haven't been doing it close to 3 months let alone 12! Overall, for being in big boy pants by the time he turned two, I am extremely proud of how he has done. We might have to completely start over when the baby comes, but hey, at least I am saving money on diapers THIS month, right?

My advice to potty training mom's and myself with the next kids- potty training is as stressful as you let it be. The best potty days are those when I am ready for a lot of potty songs and game time.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Since potty training not only my own kids, but some of my nieces and nephews, I am all for the "training in a day." It really does work. That was my way of doing it and it worked so well two sisters left a couple of their children for a day for me to train. But as I remember you don't even try until they are "dry" all night. Also I always heard..."girls at age 2, boys at age 3. If you can do it earlier you are lucky!

Ashley said...

Potty training is the hardest thing for me (thus far) as a mother to deal with. I also think the "in a day" is much more realistic of actually happening in a day if the child is older. I felt like it took several months with my girls. Since I cloth diaper Charly I am in no rush to deal with potty training till she is ready and willing.