Thursday, November 1, 2012

Houston funnies

I don't know what happened to my blogging days.... well I guess that is a lie. I know exactly what happened to my blogging days! But I miss it and feel guilty that I haven't been better about writing down precious gems of my little angels/rascals.

Here are a few stories about Houston that I need to write down to remember:

My dad gave me the Preschool
AJ was born on a Wednesday. While in the hospital I was checking my email and saw that Houston had reached the top of the preschool waitlist and they were giving me 24 hours to respond if he would like to start on Friday. The next hour I spent going back and forth if that would be too many changes in his life or perfect for him to have something special during this time of change. We decided to go ahead with it and have been very glad. It is perfect for him and he loves it.

The first Monday home after that Michael gave the FHE lesson. He gave a beautiful lesson on how Heavenly Father gives boys and girls different gifts. Girls like mommy get to have babies in their tummies and boys get to have the priesthood. He explained that boys who make good choices can receive a gift of the priesthood which is the power of God on earth. He explained it well talking about the duties of the priesthood including priesthood blessings and that if Houston was a really good boy, then when he turned 12, he could receive the priesthood.

Houston was captivated. He was interested in every word. When Michael concluded he asked "Houst, would you like daddy to give you a priesthood blessing to help you feel better about starting preschool?" There was such a sweet spirit in our home. And I could tell Houston felt it. His eyes widened as he paused then ran into Michael's arms and said, "THANK YOU DADDY! YES!" Michael and I were both touched by his sweet spirit.

Michael gave a beautiful blessing and Houston was the quietest and most reverent I've ever seen him. I kind of felt like I was watching a picture because he didn't move at all. We concluded and Houston gave daddy another hug and thanks.

Michael and I went to bed feeling like we finally had a FHE where Houston really got it. Michael came away from it with a renewed desire to really prepare our FHEs to make them quality like tonight's was so that Houston will really understand it all.

The next morning my sister Mitzi called from the car driving carpool to preschool. She was laughing and explained what she had overheard. This is what I understand happened.

Houston had said, "Zetta, did you know my dad gave me... THE PRESCHOOL!?!?" "What?" Mitzi asked. "You know Aunt Mit, mommies get to have babies and last night my dad put his hands on my head... and gave me.... THE PRESCHOOL!" (Houst is really good at building up his sentences with dramatic pauses and then the loud punchline at the end). He continued to explain it with pride.

Apparently he got the main point- but we might need to clarify the P words.

Houston's first day of preschool. 
Thank you Uncle Bill for making it special and taking pictures while we were still in the hospital

Trash Toys
Houston is a wonderful kid... one of Heavenly Father's finest for sure. But one thing we really struggle with is clean up time. The kid will be dunkin' hoops and hitting baseballs and intently building legos until clean up time he mysteriously has the plague and cannot move on the chair because he is "just so tired" or "just really really really sick" or my favorite "Mom, I'm really not a good cleaner upper".

We've tried a few different things but nothing was working. One night Houst was being extra winey and said he just could not do it he was too exhausted. Michael got on his best firm-guilt trip-daddy voice and said, "ok, I'm setting this time for 5 minutes- whatever is not cleaned up- I am throwing away in this trash bag". I saw a twinkle in his daddy eye that said, "this is it- I've got him!" The twinkle was fleeting as the response from Houston came, "oh THANK YOU you daddy- just put them in the trash".

Michael looked a little defeated but determined not to lose so easy.

He continued to encourage for the 5 minutes and then started cleaning up while Houston continued with the showering him with thanks. "Really Houston? Ok, I'm throwing away your remote control lightning mcQueen. And your buzz lightyear! and..." nothing was getting Houst off his rump. Michael finished cleaning and put the bag in another room.

Houston was very pleasant and fun for the next hour so we decided to let him choose 3 things from the toy trash bag. Michael said it might need to be more than 3, I picked up a lot of his best toys. So we decided to evaluate and see what Houst did. "Ok Houston, which 3 toys do you want back from the trash bag?"

He thought for a second as Michael started pushing the high priced ticket items on him- but before he got far Houston chose out the 3 lucky toys being saved from the trash... a wood paddle/ball he had gotten from a playdate, a McDonald's happy meal toy, and ... wait for it... a curling ribbon he had asked me to tie to make a belt for him the week before. yep...

Michael officially lost and said, "good news, Christmas is going to be cheap this year!"

Restored the Golf Balls
Last night we talked about Joseph Smith in Family Home Evening. It is a topic we have covered multiple times before, but still is quite confusing for a 3 year old to grasp. I had noticed earlier that day Houston was talking about Joseph Smith  in the wrong context so I thought we would check out what he thought it was.

After going through the Joseph Smith story, I asked Houston to tell me about Joseph Smith. He did a great job but there was always something a little off. Finally I asked him to repeat it so I could get to the bottom of what he was really thinking Joseph Smith was. To which he loudly, slowly, and clearly iterated, "HE... Resored... THE GOLF BALLS!"

I chuckled, hugged him, clarified, then asked him to say it again. He said "He restored the gospel..." looked at me and smiled and sweetly giggled at himself and continued "...it does sound like golf balls mom"


Hock World Series
I married a sports fan. I knew it when I dated and married him. I love how excited he gets about games. I love that it he has the family dress in jerseys to more fully appreciate the game. I knew I married a sports fan.
I didn't realize it would result in giving birth to our first son who came out with a baseball in his hands practically. I love that houston loves sports so much... and in the same fashion as his daddy. Meaning- he doesn't just sit and watch a game- he lives every game like he is there in the ball park playing in the big leagues. Here is a clip from the final game of the World Series.(heads up- repeating "really" like 15 times to make a point is a trademark Houston move these days!) (go to the actual blog to see video...)



Yep, we let Houst stay up late because that is the only option here on the East Coast for sports fans.

Oh how I love my little man. He is very sweet and the best big brother I could ask for. He gives Hadley hugs every time she wakes up from sleeping or napping. He is great with AJ to give him nose rubs and kisses. I love taking him potty at night as it is an excuse to hold him and see how big he is getting each night as I heft him up. I can't believe how fast time goes. I love my Houston!

1 comment:

Laura said...

LOVE it! What a sweet boy you have been blessed with! I loved the video. Up next: more pics of AJ!?!