Sunday, June 14, 2009

Air Show

I have a horrible memory... we are talking absolutely terrible. If it happened more than a year ago, there is a REALLY good chance, I don't remember it. So the things I DO remember, I hold onto.

I remember when I was little girl, somehow my family got the idea that we were going to ride our bikes to the air show. We were so excited about it. We packed our lunches and recruited bikes from the neighbors so we could each ride our own. I remember there being a massive amount of people there. The base was covered, it was practically shoulder to shoulder. We enjoyed our day and then in heat, decided it was time to make our journey home. My tire popped on the way home. I remember my cute big brother and my dad rotating carrying my bike on their shoulder while trying to ride their bikes home. I was riding on the back of other family members. It seemed like the longest and hottest day ever, but I loved it. I loved us all being together and honoring those serving our country by going to see them show off their skills. My parents have raised us to be very patriotic. And still to this day, I get chills when I hear songs like "I'm proud to be an American". Thanks mom and dad for teaching us to appreciate and honor those who serve our country.

When I heard they were in town, I decided it was a perfect day out for our little family.
Last week was Air Force week in Salt Lake. They had events throughout the week all over the Valley. We decided to go last Saturday (June 6) to the Air show. It was absolutely wonderful. My only regret is we didn't go a half hour earlier. I knew we didn't want to go ALL day because we wanted to be there for the grand finale of the Thunderbirds (the Air Force's version of the Blue Angels) without having either of my boys get too tired with the heat. I wanted tomake sure it was enjoyable, not everwhelmingly long and hot. We timed it perfect. We stepped off the shuttle as the Thunderbirds had just started. There were thousands of people there. I think we heard there were like 280,000 people there on Saturday. It was so uplifting to see everyone out supporting the air force.
We watched the Thunderbirds for about 20 minutes. They were SO close... I almost felt like I would have to duck as silly as that sounds. It was fun to hear how loud they sounded, see how fast they flew, and be amazed and their crazy game of chicken.

Then we went to walk through and around some of the other planes.

We have been really into the show Jag lately (Thanks to re-runs) and love to watch the pilots on the show. It was awesome to see it in real life. Michael and I had smiles on our faces the WHOLE time.
There was a show at the end with the Air Force performing group. To say I was not impressed, would be gracious. I was down right disappointed! We stayed for less than one song. Our line for the shuttle back to our car was right next to the show so we continued to hear it, and it did not improve. I'm sorry Air Force, but the Navy "Sea Chanters" would totally win in a battle with the Air Force "Tops in Blue."
We were surprised by how long the line back to our car took us. We stood in line for about 2 hours... about how long we spent actually at the air show. Michael got a little hungry...
Houston slapped daddy to get him to stop eating him...
and we tried to see if we could make Houston fly.
We are grateful for all the men and women that our serving our country. We are grateful for their families for allowing and supporting them to serve. I am grateful for a husband that loves this country as much as I do and loves going to events like the air show with me. He was so cute and said we would not miss another one that came to our area. But most of all we are grateful to live in this great nation. If you ever have an Air show in your area, I suggest going... even for just a couple hours like we did.
Here is a video of the Thunderbirds that I found on you tube if you want to check it out.


I also thought this was a cool picture of the Thunderbirds.

No comments: