Tuesday, June 1, 2010

May 8- Richmond Day 2

Another great day of History (if any of you are still even reading this as I'm sure I bored many of you with the last 5 days of museums- but we are not even half way there yet on our vacation... WARNING!)

We were glad that Chuck got to come with us on Saturday. We got piled into the car (top middle- notice Michael's hat in the back seat- the girls always wanted to be by uncle Hock. In FACT, we asked Lucy at one point who Michael was pointing at him and she responded "Uncle Hock" then pointed to me and said who is that, and she smiled, got embarrassed and said, "I DON'T know!") as we were finally ready to head out for the day... or so we thought! Chuck ran back inside. He was so cute to try to go in and download the audio tour for the museum Michael and I were headed to that afternoon. 10 minutes passed, then 20, then 30. We didn't want to unload all these kids plus, he left the car running so we were sure he was going to come out any second. Well, to no avail- downloading the tour didn't work so we just paid the $2 when we go there for it. But it was pretty watching the beloved Uncle Hock entertain the kids in the non-moving car for that long:)

We headed for the Virginia State Capitol tour. It was a beautiful building with some interesting history. Houst met his namesake Sam Houston... kind of (upper right). The kids got pretty bored pretty fast so Ashley and I took them outside for snacks. When the boys finished the tour, we headed to a nearby park to eat lunch and fly kites. Houst LOVED it- he was SO not interested in eating when he could be helping with the kite.
Michael and I went through Chimborazo Visitor Center which was one of the largest hospital in the Confederacy during the Civil War. Then we separated from the crew (thanks for taking Houst) and went to the Museum of the Confederacy. This is where we saw true Confederate spirit fly! It was an impressive collection of artifacts from the Confederacy. All the biggies (Stonewall Jackson, Lee, Davis, etc) all had items on display as well as many other people I had not heard of. We then went on a short tour of the White House of the Confederacy. It is much smaller but was still impressive. The thing I found most interesting was the foyer had very unimpressive wallpaper meant to look like marble. I thought to myself, "man, they must not have much money to restore this place- this looks pretty cheap". The tour guide must have seen my look of distaste as the first thing he pointed out was that paper was quite an extravagance in that time so it was consider posh to have wall paper that was obviously not the real material.
Another great day in the South! Tomorrow... Richmond to Williamsburg!!!

No comments: