Wednesday, June 17, 2009

O Zion

I never thought I would say it as a child, but I love living in Utah. I will be honest, I was one of those California girls that thought, "Why would anyone not live in California. Why would you not want perfect weather and the beach within 20 minutes?". Well, as much as I love CA, besides the fact that we can't afford to live in CA, we LOVE Utah! We love the mountains, we love the seasons, and yes, I even like the snow. (Driving in it still stinks, but it really is beautiful).

Michael, Houston, and I love to go on walks. We usually either go walking around our neighborhood, our nearby cemetery, or the huge gully in our backyard. This past week of making decisions, I realized that we might not be in Utah forever. It has made me want to take advantage of every thing I have taken for granted.

Last Sunday, I really wanted to hiking (Sunday walking :) through the canyons. But seeing as the weather has been very Seattle-ish the past week, it was raining like crazy. The sun popped out for a bit so we hurried and got dressed... just in time for it to start raining again. We were not happy about it.
I talked Michael into going for a drive in our new car up through the canyons so we could at least enjoy the sites, even if we didn't get to enjoy the fresh air.

We drove 15 minutes... Just 1-5!!!! and it had stopped raining and we found a beautiful trail. We love having this in our backyard. No, it isn't crashing waves, but it is the sound of serenity through the babbling of the stream. It is the smell of freshly wet forest instead of salt water. It is pulling over to the side of the road instead of a parking lot full of coolers. Pictures do not do justice to how beautiful it is. I will always love California, but I'm also grateful for this time I have had to live in Utah.


It ended up being a beautiful hike, a little cooler than planned... but I was happy nonetheless.
Thanks sweetheart for doing the things I love with me.

5 comments:

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

Hey Foo,
Us California girls still miss ya down here. Don't get too comfortable ;)

Mitzi said...

You are the blogging queen lately. I am LOVING it!! Can't wait to start seeing your scrapbook pages too!

Steph H said...

I am with you about LOVING everything about the mountains! You just can't beat that fresh air and all the pretty trees and the view when you get to the top. We're big fans of the beach too. Glad you love it here--hopefully it will bring you guys back!