Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The hair cut

Disclaimer: not the most exciting post, unless you are into hair... specifically... my hair :)Many of you have commented on my new hair cut... I feel I need to explain.

So here is my theory on hair. I will warn you, this does not apply to everyone. Some people are just meant to have long hair or short hair. My sister Tiffany, beautiful long hair and she wasn't such a fan when she cut it.

When I was younger I always had really long hair. It was a part of me. Everyone would talk about how beautiful my hair was. It made me feel nice, but maybe I felt like, "hey, there's more to me than my hair". So one day... I CUT it! Jr year in high school. It felt LIBERATING! It wasn't the perfect hair cut, but it was like I was a WHOLE new me and I had to learn how to live as a short hair person. (SIDENOTE: if you have always had short OR long hair and have never done the other- you probably won't get my theory). It was hard because it really was like learning who this new person in the mirror was and how she was supposed to act, yet alluring because I realized I didn't have to hide behind my "pretty" hair any more.

I continued through cycles of every other year or so cutting my hair to once again discover short hair Lani, but I usually preferred it long. Little did I know when I went into donate it in 2005 that it would have such an impact. Three months after chopping it off, I met Michael who since then and forever will- LOVE it SHORT! I know- how crazy is that? But he loves it short!
March 2008
So, since my hair is falling out by the handful nowadays (and Michael asks every time I go to get it cut if I am going short) I thought it was time to mix it up again and go back short. My wonderful cousin Brandy cut it. It was my fault for asking her to do it while camping OUTSIDE in the WIND, I know! I sent her like 4 pictures and said I want it to look like these three, NOT THIS ONE. Well, long story short, it ended up pretty short like the one I didn't want and with bangs. She was so cute about it and when it was done she said two things: a) I'm so sorry, it looks like the one you didn't want and 2) You look like a cute "mm..." then trailed off... and I filled in, "mom?" and we both started laughing. Yes, it is a total mom hair cut! ACK! IT IS OFFICIAL! We both laughed and had a good time with it.

I will say that as for the debate of which is easier... it depends. Day 1: short hair. Day 2 trying to go without washing: DEFINITELY long! I miss pony tails and life without bangs. Since I think day 2 with this length of hair is simple mortifying- I refuse to post bed head pictures at this stage, but instead- let's gander back at the good ol' days...
November 2005- After playing 2 hours of basketball with SCRUNCHED hair then showering with a shower cap. Not great, but easily liveable.
October 2007- I believe this one was DAY 3 without washing

But, I am starting to get used to it and like it. The first Sunday, I will not lie... I broke down a little in tears because it was my first Day 2 with no time to shower and it was UN-TAMEABLE! Not to mention when I showed up to work or other usual places, it is that awkward-ness of "Did you get a hair cut?" "yes" then the most awkward silence that I WISH I could do the cricket noise for because they don't want to say they like it because they honestly think it looks worse than the long yet thinning new mom hair of the week before.

But as my dad likes to say, the difference betweeen a good hair cut and a bad hair cut... is two weeks. Now that I am learning how to deal with it this short, all is well.

Michael says he likes it- but he is too good of a husband to say anything else. He seems sincere but I just can't understand how I can not like something so much that he does like. This is Michael's favorite picture of my hair. So I figure, another 2 months, and it will be like a whole new hair cut learning to style but a longer!
Note: Brandy, I love you and this was so not your fault. This was meant to illustrate the feelings of every woman that decides to butch off her hair. Let me know when you are back so we can do the next phase.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That was too funny. I go through the exact same dilemma. Every few years I cut it shorter-and then realize that I really like it long. I was just getting tempted again a few weeks ago to cut short, and then I remembered how last time I cut it short I swore I would never make that mistake again. I don't even know why. I look at some pictures of it short and like it. But for some reason when I actually do it, I really struggle for awhile. I'm sure I'll do it again some day and go through the whole thing all over again.

Mitzi said...

I just for the first time since Christmas thought yea! My hair is livable now. I have hated mine since then. I really hope yours is a lot sooner! Good Luck!

Shannon said...

you look good with both long hair and short hair. it's fun to mix it up

Cristi said...

I love my long black hair, and i think short hair looks good on you. you are pretty no matter what.

All About Austins said...

I just did that too! However, you do a good job pulling it off! You look great!